Chislehurst & Sidcup Housing Association

Providing cost effective, efficient services


The Association is proud of the quality standard of all our properties. As part of our mission, we will ensure we provide cost-effective services when carrying out repairs and improvements; however we will not compromise on safety or quality.

We aim to make sure all our homes are kept in good condition and modernised to a good standard.  We have a long-term improvement programme which is regularly updated and communicated to tenants so that their needs can be taken into consideration.

​Common questions and queries about repairs

How to report a repair

Tenants living in one of our sheltered housing schemes can report repairs by simply telephoning or visiting their Sheltered Housing Manager who will take down relevant details to pass to support staff or the Technical Services Manager.  When the manager is off-duty an out-of-hours emergency service is provided through a Telecare provider who will assist the tenant.

Who is responsible for repairs?

Tenants are responsible for the upkeep of their home.  This includes ensuring that their home is well decorated and that minor repairs are carried if possible.  A Tenancy Agreement will set out responsibilities for repairs. 

Tenants are responsible for informing the Association of any repairs that need doing and they must allow us access to carry out the repairs.  The Association can force entry if we need to carry out an emergency repair, but we will take reasonable steps to contact tenants before taking such action. 

​Examples of tenant repair responsibilities

  • Paying for replacing lost keys 
  • Replacing internal door handles 
  • Replacing broken toilet seats, sink and bath plugs and chains 
  • Replacing floor coverings throughout (including kitchen and bathrooms) with non-slip flooring 
  • Replacing tap washers (not cartridge) 
  • Replacing shower hoses and handsets 
  • Removing black mould (if caused by condensation) 
  • Unblocking sinks, baths and toilets 
  • Replacing electrical plugs and fuses 
  • Replacing light bulbs and fluorescent strips (except in shared areas like corridors in schemes)

​What works can be charged to tenants?

If the Association carries out repairs that are the tenant’s responsibility the cost of the works will be recharged to the tenant. The Association will also recharge tenants any costs of putting right problems caused through neglect, loss, misuse or deliberate damage.  We will normally replace glass in windows if it is broken by someone else due to harassment or vandalism; particularly where the police have been contacted and a crime reference number has been issued.

Some repairs are the responsibility of the Association; these tend to be anything relating to electrical or gas repairs. We are also responsible for repairs in communal areas.

Examples of our repair responsibilities

  • Internal walls, floors, ceilings, doorframes, but not painting and decorating inside
  • Outside walls, outside doors, window sills, window catches, sash cords, external door hinges, skirting boards and window frames, including any painting and decorating needed outside
  • Drains, gutters, outside pipes and the roof
  • Chimneys, chimney stacks and flutes, but not including chimney sweeping
  • Front paths, steps or other access points we own

Can tenants make home improvements?

Tenants can make some improvements to their home; however written permission will be required in all cases before any works begin.

Some improvements are not permitted, for example the installation of gas fires or heaters or laminate flooring in upper floor flats; and all improvements must meet relevant safety standards and regulations.

Tenants must contact our Head Office for approval of their improvements as stated in their Tenancy Agreement and they must tell us in writing. 

Examples of emergency repairs

  • Total water loss
  • Burst water main
  • Dealing with the effects of flooding
  • Severe storm damage
  • Total loss of electricity supply
  • Problems with the security of windows or front doors
  • No heating between November and April
  • Smell of gas


If the smell of gas is detected, or a Carbon Monoxide detector sounds, tenants should open windows and doors, turn off appliance and avoid turning on any switches. Tenants are advised to call the National Gas Emergency services on 0800 111 999 and warn any neighbours who might be effected.