Chislehurst & Sidcup Housing Association

Providing cost effective, efficient services

Your Tenancy

Your Tenancy Agreement is an important legal document.  It tells you about your rights and responsibilities.  This section answers some of the questions you may have about your Tenancy. 

Important: Always keep your Tenancy Agreement in a safe place.

Types of Tenancy

Assured Tenancy

Most housing association tenants have this type of tenancy.  As long as tenants abide by their tenancy agreement there is no limit to how long they can stay.

Secure Tenancy

Another form of tenancy that some ex-council or long-standing tenants may still have.  It is very similar to an assured tenancy, but gives tenants extra rights.


In addition to the two types of Tenancy Agreements described above, the Association operates licence agreements for just six Trust properties in Sidcup.

Not sure?

If you are not sure what kind of tenancy you have, just ask us.  We will be pleased to help.

How long does my tenancy last?

If you have an assured tenancy, you can live in your home for as long as you wish.

You must keep to the terms of your Tenancy Agreement and respect the rights of other tenants and neighbours.

You must live in the property as your main home.

You do not have to leave unless we get a court order. We will usually only get a court order if you have broken your Tenancy Agreement conditions or the property is no longer suitable for you. If you are worried, contact us and we can advise you.

‘Grounds for possession’ are set out in the Housing Acts of 1985, 1988, 1996. If you are worried about losing your tenancy, please talk to us.  Or you can get help from an advice agency.