Chislehurst & Sidcup Housing Association

Providing cost effective, efficient services

Moving and Settling In

There’s lot’s to do when moving home. This section outlines some of the important things you must remember.

Once you have moved in make sure that you do the following:

  • Housing Benefit (HB): you will need to submit new housing benefit forms if you are entitled to HB. The Housing Services Manager can assist with the application process.
  • Electricity and Gas Supply: you should contact the gas and electricity companies as soon as you know you are moving. The Sheltered Housing Manager will take meter readings with you and sign and agree them.
  • Council Tax: must be informed on moving in even if HB is not applied for.
Additional Information

Gas, electricity and water bills: who is responsible?

Before you move in to your home, we will test your gas and electric installations. You must arrange your own gas, electric and water supplies and pay all charges. Some properties now have an energy performance certificate which shows whether your bills are likely to be low or high.

If you live in a sheltered property, you will pay through a service charge for some shared costs such as:

  • Electricity and gas for lighting and heating shared corridors and stairs
  • Running costs of shared lounges, kitchens and laundry rooms
  • Heating and hot water in your flat if there is a communal heating system.

TV, phones and internet

You will need to make arrangements with telephone and internet service providers to get existing phone lines connected or to install a line if there is not one already.

All schemes have a shared TV aerial that you can connect to.

You must have a TV licence if you watch or record television programmes. You need to renew your TV licence each year.

Sheltered Housing has a concessionary TV licence. Depending on a tenant’s age and employment status, they may be entitled to addition to this, or a free licence. Sheltered Housing Managers process the appropriate forms and collect payment each year, where applicable.

Council Tax

Council tax pays for local council, police and fire services. You are responsible for the council tax on your home. You must register with your local council to pay this charge as you could be fined if you do not. If you are eligible you could get a discount. 


We strongly recommend that you arrange your own home contents insurance policy.  This insures your furniture and belongings against fire, theft, vandalism or water damage.

We do insure all our properties for their full replacement value and also hold an indemnity policy to protect us from claims from other people. This insurance does not cover the cost of damage to your own belongings.


No pets of any kind are permitted at any of the Association's sheltered housing schemes.

Fire Evacuation

If there is a fire in or near your home, please follow the fire evacuation procedure.  Please check with your Sheltered Housing Manager if you are unsure of the plan.

Registering to vote

To vote in an election, you must register your name and address with your local council.


Parking can cause neighbourhood problems, so please be considerate and follow this advice:

  • You are permitted to park one car or small van in a space provided, only park on the street or in proper parking spaces - not on grass areas, paths or verges.
  • All other cars should be parked in the street vicinity as parking spaces are limited.  
  • Parking spaces in common areas on schemes, are for the benefit of all tenants.  Unless specifically stated in writing, you do not have rights to an individual car parking space.
  • If you have a severe problem walking, you may qualify for the Blue Badge Scheme.  Contact your local council for details.
  • The Association prohibits the parking of caravans and commercial vehicles in any of its allocated parking spaces at sheltered housing schemes.
  • We may arrange for vehicles that are untaxed or appear abandoned to be taken away to be scrapped.


If you have your own garden, you must keep it neat, tidy and clear of rubbish. If you cannot manage your garden and you do not have anyone to help you, please let us know. In some areas, we may be able to put your name forward to receive help.


If you feel that trees or bushes in your area are dangerous or need trimming, please let us know. We will contact your local council if it is not our responsibility.

Mobility Scooters

Mobility scooters can be a real lifeline, but very few buildings were designed with them in mind. If you are not sure about getting a mobility scooter, please talk to us and we will try and find a solution. 

Please do not leave your mobility scooter in a shared area unless we have given you written permission.

Settling In

It is our policy to arrange a ‘settling in’ visit for new tenants, normally about one month after moving in. This is an opportunity to discuss issues and to ask questions about your new home. You may find it helpful to prepare a list in advance. 

Please contact your Sheltered Housing Manager if an appointment has not been arranged.